Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Sometimes it's just plain hard.

The end of 2012 proved difficult as far as eating habits go. The beginning of 2013 proved difficult because of this damn cold that did not want to leave my body. I was sick of feeling like a blubber face and (more importantly) my clothes fitting way too tight. Although I couldn't work out, I knew eating healthy would help alleviate some of these problems. I started watching what I was eating again and being very strict during the week and letting myself indulge a little on the weekends. It worked a little. My clothes are starting to fit better, but I am still not allowing myself to step a foot on the scale. I have a love/hate relationship with that scale. Well, more like 5% love, 95% hate, but still...All of this is fine and dandy except for one huge factor: I COULD NOT WORK OUT. 

There is nothing more frustrating to me than wanting so badly to get in shape and continue my running, than to have my body completely betray me. I fought the cold as much as possible: eating healthy, drinking orange juice, taking vitamins, cold medication, sleeping a lot. After about 2 weeks or so, I thought I was starting to feel a little better, so I figured I could work out some. It started off by me trying a couple runs here and there. They were only a couple miles each but very difficult. It was incredibly hard for me to breathe and my nose just wouldn't stop running. Then I tried a yoga class. I was doing fine until about 45 minutes into it. I started to feel dizzy and thought I would pass out right there in the studio! I positioned myself in child's pose for the remainder of the class and went straight home after. I chalked it up to my body still trying to recover (although it was clearly giving me warning signs to completely stop). Then that Sunday, Nicholas and I took a hike. It was a relatively easy hike in Yucaipa and we walked 3 miles, ran 3 miles. The second we were done, I knew I had pushed myself too far. I felt like crap from the moment we returned home and then the coughing began... This continued on for another 2 weeks. I knew better this time not to push myself, so I haven't worked out. I have just been waiting for my body to decide to be nice again. Well this week I am feeling like myself again. The cough lingers a little, as does the runny nose, but minimal compared to what it was. That, and I have a lot of my energy back. Which brings me to my running goals:

This is going to be my year. I am saying it now. I do not normally make New Years resolutions but I thought this one was fun and was shared with me by a friend last year. I am going to run 365 miles this year. A mile for every day. Now obviously I will not be running one mile every day but a couple miles at a time, multiple days a week, should do it. I ran on Monday this week and again today. So far this year (due to my hiatus), I have accomplished 17 miles. I am confident I will reach my goal this year. Another big goal I have is to complete a half marathon by the end of the year. 

Needless to say, I have a lot of runs I am planning on doing and can't wait to do all of them. The soreness I have felt this week from running has been such a motivating, amazing feeling. I am feeling like myself again, which is completely uplifting. The tentative schedule thus far is:

Mesa View Middle School 5k next Saturday (already signed up)
Angels Baseball 5k at the end of March
Run through Redlands 10k in April
Survivor Mud Run in Sept- 9 miles (already signed up)
Rock 'n Roll half marathon in November (mere days before my birthday!)

*Due to budgetary reasons, I couldn't sign up for all of these at once, but I will be signing up for the Angels run soon. 

I hope to keep track of my goals here now that I am actually able to exercise and meet those goals :P I hope to try and record some healthy recipes that I try as well. Tonight, for example, I made skinny chicken enchiladas and they were delicious! Pics to come soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment